Tag Archives: leak

Our Wet Cement My Life 25 JUN 2010

So our soaked cement floor in the study, courtesy of a leaking copper pipe leading into the geyser, is almost dry at last, meaning that soon we can get the professionals in and get a new carpet laid. But just in case you don’t quite understand by what I mean by wet concrete floor (or don’t believe for that matter), let me share some pictures that Chantelle and I took as proof for the complex management company:

The leaking copper pipe responsible for all our woes!

Carpet being peeled away to reveal the soaked underfelt below...

The extent of the water damage to the study.

It is like someone had one great big pee in the corner when no one was looking...

Do you know how boring it is waiting for cement to dry in the middle of a wet winter?

And as you can well imagine, it’s pretty boring waiting for soaked cement to dry during a particularly wet winter season! :)

Rolling Back the Carpet My Life 11 JUN 2010

Whew. So Chantelle had Cliffie, the plumber/maintenance man they use at Gordon’s Beach Lodge come and have a look at the leaking geyser and it turns out that thankfully it wasn’t the geyser at fault at all! Instead, one of the copper pipes feeding into the geyser had corroded enough to from a small hole the size of a pinhead, causing a perpetual spray of water against the geyser at a rate fast enough to fill up a cup withing a minute.

This water then ran down the geyser and soaked into the cement below, basically spreading throughout the study and coming up to soak the underfelt of the carpet, making those big wet spots that had alerted us to the problem in the first place.

So after a bit of a hunt to find the water mains, Cliffie cut out the bit of offending pipe and welded in a replacement, meaning that the water leakage has now been stopped.

However, it isn’t all a field of daisies just yet.

Now because it is a pipe from the structure and not the geyser that caused the damage, responsibility for repairing it now falls to the complex management company, namely Micsam, which means that they are now liable for the costs. Already Chantelle has entertained some people to assess whether or not the carpet can simply be lifted and cleaned, but as the underfelt is already completely soaked and ruined, I’m afraid that the verdict is that the whole thing will have to be lifted up and replaced.

Fantastic.

Anyway, so now it falls to us to clear out the study, roll up the wet carpet and then allow the cement to dry out for a couple of days, before the team rolls in and fits in a replacement.

Sigh, and of course it is the perfect timining for drying out wet cement floors of course! :P

(On a side note, Olympus seems to love the exposed underside of the carpet. He runs up and takes a flying leap over the wet cement – refuses to walk on it – lands on the other side and proceeds to sharpen his claws on the underside. Perfect furry fun in other words!)

Replacing Parts My Life 10 JUN 2010

Sigh, it must be that time of year again because all of a sudden it is the time of spending big money.

As we have just discovered at the start of this week, our fairly new geyser of less than three years old has gone and sprung a leak, happily spraying out a fine mist (could be from a valve) that has pooled up, seeped into the concrete and come up under the carpet in the study/future baby room – which has of course already begun to miff.

As luck would have it, the weekend saw me move out all the electronic equipment to the new “Man Spot 2.0” in the dining area, so there isn’t a worry there, but it is a pretty annoying problem to have to deal with now. Of course this shouldn’t set us back financially as we are renting, but at the end of the day it is us that sits with all the hassle of organizing the fixing! :(

Then next up is the hunt for a new bed. Andy needs her bed that we’ve been using in the flat for the last couple of years back (for her upcoming baby’s room in case you are wondering), which of course means we need to buy a replacement one. To be honest, this isn’t such a bad thing because Andy’s bed is pretty much slept through at this stage, but it is quite an expensive venture considering the fact that we’re looking for a queen-sized bed that can hold at least 130kg per side – basically enough to deal with the little elephant that is currently typing up this post! :P

We went bed hunting on Saturday past, visiting three bed stores in Somerset West, and after three great pitches, each pushing a different sleep technology, we now have a decent idea of which bed we’re going to shoot for – though it is going to put us a good R7,500 out of pocket! :(

Next is Chantelle’s car which desparately needs a major service – and it’s the big one unfortunately. Got it booked in by Hyundai for Monday, so that’s going to cost us a bit as well I assume. :(

Finally, this one isn’t going to cost me anything (well shouldn’t), but it will knock me in effort – with all our cavorting around on weekend aways over the past while, I kind of didn’t get around to driving old Jetta Jameson around like I was trying to do on a regular basis, meaning that when I tried to fire her up on Saturday morning, I was met with the rather expected… nothing. Nada. Zip.

That will teach me to not uncouple the battery next time! Sigh, so now I need to find someone to charge it up for me…

Effort.

It seems like I’ll have to expend some of it over the next while…