The following items make up the required syllabus in order to grade up from a brown belt 3rd kyu to a brown belt 2nd kyu level. The items are divided up into Saiten Kentai Waza (Grading Forms), Katas, Basic Kihon and Jiyu Kumite. Note that a set amount of classroom time is also required to have been completed in order to grade.
These requirements have been laid out by Dai Hanchi Edwin Ward (2011).
- F7A Mae Tobi Geri
- Shi-ho Geri Waza – Mae geri / Yoko geri / Mawashi geri / Ushiro geri (4 Way Kicking)
- Naihanchi Kata 1 (Tekki Shodan)
- Kamae Kata 1
- Kamae Kata 2
- Kamae Kata 3
(From Kamae stepping 3x forwards and 3x backwards)
- Chudan oi zuki in zenkutsu dachi
- Sanbon zuki (jodan/chudan/chudan) in zenkutsu dachi
- Jodan age uke / chudan gyaku zuki in zenkutsu dachi
- Chudan soto uke / jodan uraken /chudan gyaku zuki in zenkutsu dachi
- Chudan uchi uke / kizami mae geri / kizami zuki / chudan gyaku zuki in zenkutsu dachi
- Jodan yoko geri keage / jodan uraken in zenkutsu dachi
- Chudan mae geri kekomi / jodan taisho in zenkutsu dachi
- Chudan mawashi geri in zenkutsu dachi
- Chudan ushiro geri in zenkutsu dachi
- Jodan mae tobi geri in zenkutsu dachi mate in kamae
(predetermined one point attack)
One point attack, the attacker only calls the area (jodan, chudan, gedan). They are free to choose any attack they wish from the list below, as long as they deliver it to the announced target area. The defender may use any uke block to deflect the attack.