TableFriday morning and work started early as I went into work by car in order to get as much done before the clock struck 12, signaling my departure on merry old half day Friday. Not that I got any time to relax of course. My first mission for the day: renewing my driver’s license!

Back in Bellville at last, I headed off to the traffic department, got in line at the enquiries desk, waited until my turn, and learnt that to renew my license I actually needed to be at the Awie Kempen Testing Centre down the street. Wonderful. And that was that. Off I trotted to the testing centre expecting a huge queue of people only to walk in on a near empty building. Four people ahead of me in the queue, a short wait and then a quick eye test and fingerprinting and voila – I had renewed my license! If only all governmental procedures took that quick to handle (okay, so I’m not counting the 4-6 weeks it takes for the actual card license to arrive at the traffic department for pickup)!

From there the next stop was to pick up Ryan as he had indicated he wanted to come shopping with me and then head off to ABSA to get my postal address changed. Again I was fairly lucky in that the line was not horrendously long and after a short wait I got my address changed from 706 Antoon Benning Bellvile to 45 Nagua Gordon’s Bay – I’m coming baby! :)

With that little task complete, we did a spot of window shopping with me striking an absolute bargain at CNA where I picked up a ridiculous five manga volumes for less than R100! Ryan wasn’t as lucky as I was on the shopping front, but he was a damn sight luckier than poor old Liz who phoned me up to let me know that they had broken into her flat and cleaned her and Michelle out. Shame, that girl has the worst of luck. First she injures her leg and gets sidelined from the rugby team, and now this!

Anyway, back to the shopping. The final part of the shopping expedition was the important one, as it was the trip to Home Depot to purchase the dining room table set that Chantelle had scoped out earlier in the week. A decent dark wood table with four chairs for the ridiculously cheap price of R2000 seems like a deal to good to pass up on, and so I tightened my belt, stepped into the shop and purchased my table.

Ryan and I had specifically come to Tygervalley in mom’s Camry with the intent of loading up the flat-pack package in the boot and driving off into the sunset. It is just unfortunate that we didn’t bother to do our measurements first! So with one bloody table that didn’t fit in the car, I had little choice but to phone up Dean and hope that he could help us out. Luckily for me the man was once again off early from work and in order to escape cleaning the flat that Zania was currently dragging him into, he shot out of his house like a bat out of hell and drove to our rescue. You see, the nice thing about Dean’s work is the fact that he gets to drive the company 1-tonne truck around – perfect for moving furniture and the like around! :)

With Dean’s arrival, we loaded up the truck and then escorted him back to McDonalds with us, intent on buying him something to eat and keeping him away from his housework for as long as possible. Unfortunately, only the latter part of that was possible, because try as we might, we couldn’t get him to take a single item off the menu! Not that it stopped Ryan and me of course! We sat around chatting for a while until we decided it was safe to let him go home again and after dropping the table off at Monty’s place, bid him farewell until at least Sunday (he had invited us over for a braai in any case, despite the fact we made him leave the comforts of his house in order to save us).

From there it was a quick jaunt home before heading out once more in order to pick up Terrance and go out for supper as we had originally planned for way back on Tuesday already. Silver Spur was our destination of choice and we got there just in time before the place filled up, leaving us with a good sized table and decent enough service (not when it came to bringing the bill though!). We all enjoyed a succulent feast and after a fair bit of chatting, we got up and ran, leaving Ryan to foot the bill on his credit card (don’t worry mom, we did give him the cash!). :)

Back home, Ryan and I finished off what had been a fairly eventful Friday by putting in a couple of co-operative games of NBA Jam, something we hadn’t done before, preferring instead to usually just beat the snot out of one another. As it turned out, we were too strong for the AI opponent and despite its annoying catch up logic, managed to beat it hands down.

Exhausted after a long hard day, I made my way home and slumped back into my bed, drifting off for a good night’s sleep because I knew exactly what was coming Saturday morning…